MORE THAN SHELTERS is a pioneer in developing new concepts for refugee camps on a global level.
Camps with an average lifespan of more than 20 years are no longer compatible with the traditional manual for building these sites. Camps should be understood as “arrival cities,” in which complex structures, risks, as well as endless potentials form. To meet the needs of the people in these „arrival cities“ as well as the needs of the receiving communities and countries, we design humane plans and future-oriented solutions.
In order to create new role models for refugee centers in Europe, MORE THAN SHELTERS brings together state agencies, NGOs, local people, and refugees to develop integrated planning solutions. We design coherent location-specific concepts, management structures, and action plans to build new model sites or to enhance the potential of existing facilities.
DIGNIFIED RECEPTION AND INTEGRATION
How can we better accommodate and integrate refugees after their arrival?
PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW PROJECTS
- Overall planning of refugee centers (concept development, planning, architecture)
- Conceptual design and implementation of innovative integration projects. Planning and architecture for the conversion of existing buildings into shelters for refugees or mixed use
DEVELOPMENT AND EXTENSION OF EXISTING ACCOMMODATIONS
- Spatial restructuring and design and / or conversion of premises
- Development or restructuring of management and organizational design
CONSULTING AND WORKSHOPS
- As part of an advisory process in the context of accommodation and integration of refugees
- Intensive collaboration with residents and / or employees and management of different stakeholder groups within complex projects
- “3-DAY PROJECTS” in the case of intensive short-term assignments, we explore our planning, architectural and communicative skills to a design step-changes in existing projects in just a few days.